And the tradition continues

In my family, Sunday night is known as Pizza Night. Sunday night, pepperoni pizza, and 60 Minutes, it all goes together. To this day, I can't hear the "tick, tick, tick and the familiar "I'm Harry Reasoner, I'm Morely Safer, and I'm Ed Bradley" without tasting Mom's pizza. For as long as I can remember, we've had pizza on Sunday nights. She always made homemade pizza. She was FAMOUS for her homemade pizza.

In fact, for one of the church bazaars, she put up a gift certificate for 2 homemade pizzas. It brought well over $100. I think she actually ended up making about 5 to fill that gift certificate, as a neighbor bought it, and we had their whole family over that night, plus the 5 of us!

In college, I had several speeches to compose for Speech 102 class. One of the criteria for one of the speeches was an "exciting or overwhelming" fact. (or something like that). I'd just been home for the weekend. As I was driving back to Manhattan, I started thinking of what to write for the speech (which was probably due the next day!). The pizza I'd just had for supper was fresh on my mind. An overwhelming fact........I was 19, assuming Mom made 2 pizzas every Sunday night for my entire life, that totalled up to 1976 pizzas!!!!! Holy pepperoni!!!!! Now THAT was an exciting AND overwhelming fact! Yes, I used this in the speech, and my classmates were quite impressed. I think it might have even been the only "A" I got on any of my speeches! :) {Hey Ruth, do you remember this speech, I think you helped me write it?!}

Now that I'm an adult, I've tried to carry on the pizza night tradition. It may not always be homemade, in fact, Pizza Hut is just a quick phone call away, and Mark likes their crust better. My brother and my Aunt Connie have Sunday night pizza nights too. They DO make theirs homemade. They both make AWESOME crust! Bill has a degree in milling science, so he knows his flour, and has a way with gluten!

Homemade to Mom was truly homemade. The sauce was canned from tomatoes from her garden, the crust from scratch, the cheeses from the neighbors dairy, and the hamburger probably came from one of our cows. Homemade to me, is more like semi-homemade! I assemble ingredients into a pizza.

It's my turn and duty to pass the pizza making tradition on to my next generation. And since Plowbaby has now expressed an interest in cooking, tonight was her first lesson.

Rolling out the dough


Pricking the dough so there won't be air bubbles


Expertly placing the pepperonis


Pepperoni artist


Cheese placement


Finishing up the cheese

The finished product. Her first pizza!




I also tried another recipe tonight. In one of her Kid's Cookbook, there was a recipe for Cheesy Breadsticks. Take a package of garlic breadsticks (I used Pillsbury), unroll. Place a mozzerella snack stick on the long edge, roll over, and cut. I got 4 out of one side, and had enough dough left over to do a fifth one. Bake at 425 until golden brown. Let cool, and serve with pizza sauce. They were really good, we all liked them.



Hope you all had a great Sunday night. and make next week your pizza night!

Happy trails
~kim

Comments

Anonymous said…
Take that over a Pizzia Hut Pie any day.....Way to go Ainz
dutchgirl said…
Loved this post! Even though it made me cry. I miss your mom but I'm glad to see you're carrying on some of her traditions. She was a bit of an over achiever - all the canning and scratch cooking! Hard to live up to! Pete said it made him smile.
I loved watching Bill make pizza when he was here. It was art in motion. He has a second career available - but it's not as much fun when you do it as business. Making it for family the love comes through.
Tell PB I think she did a great job and I'm really proud of her!

Popular posts from this blog

Dad's Pietenpol Dream - A Reality

Sixteen years ago

A day in the life......................