Mexican Casserole

Tonight's "real food" was a mexican casserole. It's one Mom always fixed, and I'm not sure there is a real recipe to it. It's pretty much a dump and stir to taste kinda thing. Main ingredients are hamburger, mexi-corn, crushed tomatoes, chili beans and chili seasoning. Sometimes the meat mixture was put in the bottom of a baking dish and covered with cornbread batter then baked. Most often, the cornbread was baked separate and the meat mixture is served over it. That is how I serve it. (That way I can also slather the cornbread with butter and honey......just like my Dad does!) And don't forget the heaps of shredded cheese to the top of the meat mixture/cornbread mound! As Rachael Ray would say "YUM-O!"

Of course, I'm the only one in the house who will eat this concoction. There are plenty of left-overs, and plenty to freeze too.

Happy Trails,
~plowgirl

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just wanted to say thanks for adding me to your blog list. My father-in-law makes a similar Mexican casserole, I think he uses corn tortillas and Velveeta cheese instead of cornbread and shredded cheese though and bakes it altogether in layers. It's delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Dad's Pietenpol Dream - A Reality

Sixteen years ago

A day in the life......................