I really should be busy................

I really should be busy cleaning (finding!) the kitchen so I can make dinner. I spent a significant amount of time yesterday browsing cooking blogs. There are some great ones out there. Some I have posted on in the side bar.

Cooking is my passion. Cooking is an inherited passion. I come from a long line of great cooks. Grammy (the "old school" Home Ec teacher) taught Mom, Aunt Jan and Aunt Connie, Grandma is also an awesome cook. I can't imagine NOT knowing how to cook. I can't imagine not being a great cook. Granted, there are some days I don't want to cook, but I do it anyway.

I always thought I had a pretty decent palate. Well, maybe not since I don't eat anything green except peas and green beans, and HEAVEN FORBID I eat anything that was a previously used vital organ. BLECH! Check out the Omnivore's 100 in the sweetnicks blog in the blogsites. See how you rate. I rated a 14 out of 100. Not too whippy. Here are my answers: 13,15,18 (does BoonesFarm count?!), 27,29,35,38,49,55,61,67,77,87,94. Granted this the original list is from the UK. I'm thinking of midwesternizing (is that a word?!) it tho.

So my goal for this week is to cook "real" food every night. and also to blog about it.

Today's menu:

One of my favorite meals: Fried chicken. I come from a long line of great fried chicken cooks. Man, do Mom's family know how to cook fried chicken. The best in the WORLD.....and I'm not kidding!
The perfect menu would be: fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob (Thank you Grandpa John!), frozen green salad (Thank you Grandma Frances), cinnamon apples (Thank you Grandma Lois) red jell-o with "shaky bananas", & candied carrots. And dessert: Lemon Meringue Pie, completely from scratch (THANK YOU MOM!), or maybe Chocolate IceBox Dessert (Grammy), or maybe Angelfood Cake with Divinity Frosting (again Grammy) or maybe Pineapple Pecan Pie (Grandma Lois). Ohhhhh, the choices are endless with the family heritage recipes.

The reality of today's lunch: fried chicken, homemade french fries, frozen corn and white-gravy-out-of-a-package, and Ainz picked wild strawberry jell-o.

So what's your favorite "family heritage" meal???? Leave me a comment and let me know!

(Oh yeah, and we're supposed to pour concrete this week!!!)

Happy trails
~plowgirl

Comments

Anonymous said…
Our lunch today was also fried chicken, but I brought down the calories some by pounding the boneless chicken breasts into cutlets and cooking them in a little olive oil. It also made 5 pieces instead of 2. We also had smashed little red potatoes, blending in a little cheese, butterbuds and bacon bits. Plus steamed fresh broccoli and a cantaloupe from our garden. We're cutting out the desserts and I'm really craving some sugar!
Tonight it will be homemade pizza - as always! Some traditions you just can't mess with!!
Anonymous said…
I called Gma S. this afternoon and told her about your entry. I think she was pleased to be acknowledged. When I mentioned that Pete & Sara were coming up for pizza - after lunch with her folks - she started to laugh and made a comment about eating off the in-laws. When your folks were in Hays before they came home on Friday nights they would call to see what Elizabeth and Mom were fixing for supper - and then decide which house to go to. Elizabeth said they should both tell them "liver & onions" and see if Peg & Dick showed up at either place.

Popular posts from this blog

Dad's Pietenpol Dream - A Reality

Sixteen years ago

A day in the life......................